I/We went to a
summer writing camp in 1992 at Weber High School and the subject that we were asked to
write about was the Japanese internment camps that were set up after
Japan bombed Pearl Harbor and America was forced in to World War II. I was selected to write the poem. So… there
you go
TOPAZ
The air was heavy my brother slept,
The details in memory I’ve always kept.
An early morning on a December’s day.
‘Japs’ bombed Pearl Harbor
I heard some say.
My mother cried with shocks with fears,
A woman strong, but shedding tears.
Two months went by and one afternoon,
The order came; We
must move soon.
Two weeks to sell and pack our things,
The pain of leaving always stings.
To Tanforan we went that night,
without a word, without a fight.
Assigned to horse stalls, we sat on a cot,
we realized then we were there to rot.
For another's attack we would have to pay,
We were here for good and here to stay.
Poorly fed and treated worse,
our race and pride the only curse.
Then packed in trains and off again,
to another place we must begin.
The thick white dust with the desert sun,
Our time at Topaz had just begun.
In a barren land we were forced to stay,
Behind barbed wire, so passed each day.
The bill of rights, equality of men,
something I’ve heard time and again.
Torn from our homes because of our race,
The horrible nightmare we’re forced to face.
Prisoners in a country ours by right,
Forced to give up not daring to fight.
Pledging the flag with faith and trust,
“...and Justice for all.”
Except for us!”
The war finally ends after three long years,
Starting over with hidden fears.
Going home when home’s not there,
A country so strong that didn’t care.

No comments:
Post a Comment