And I felt
the coldness of terror sweep over me. What she was telling me was that they
would torture Emryl trying to take his soul. They wouldn’t kill him yet. It
would be a slow painful demise.
“Why didn’t
you save him? If you’ve been watching him… Why didn’t you…”
“Because I
was totally out numbered. There were half a dozen of them and only one of me,”
Tavian said regretfully. He had re-entered the room and was carrying a tray
with a teapot and a single cup. He carefully poured the hot water into the cup
and then offered me the steaming cup and a teabag. I normally didn’t drink tea
but I really was frazzled and it was with shaking hands that I accepted the
warm drink. I hoped it was true that tea was soothing.
Just as I
put the cup to my mouth I hesitated and glared coldly at Tavian with suspicion.
There was only one cup, I thought, but there were three of us in the room. Considering everything that had happened,
being kidnapped and all and then having been told that my childhood friend had
possibly been abducted by some kind of evil monster, to say I was in a trusting
mood would be less than accurate.
“Wait,” I
said angrily lowering the drink, “why aren’t either of you drinking any
tea? What did you put in this? Are you
trying to drug me?”
Tavian
grunted, “You’re obviously not as bright as your friend. You haven’t figured it
out yet?”
“Figured
what out?” I asked skeptically.
“Well, my
dear,” Zhivvah said softly, “I promised to be truthful with you. I should let
you know that Tavian and I are both vampires.”
“Well,
technically,” Tavian corrected, “I’m only half vampire. I’m a rarity you know.
It doesn’t happen very often.”
That was
about my breaking point. I had cried a few tears, yes, but really considering
everything, I had held it together pretty good. But this last confession was a
bit too much for me. I emptied the scorching liquid in the cup by throwing it
at Tavian’s face and I jumped up from the chair and bolted towards the door.
But Tavian
was already standing before me blocking my exit shaking his head morosely.
Steaming water dripped from the ends of his hair and nose but he didn’t even
have a red mark where the water he had poured for me should have burned him. He
hissed, literally, at me. Like an annoyed cat would hiss and then for the first
time I noticed his teeth. They were remarkably white but what scared me was how
sharp they suddenly appeared to me. How did I miss that? His lips and his
tongue seemed unusually red and he hissed again, “That was uncalled for.”
“Don’t eat
me!” I cried.”
“Really?”
and then he did the meanest thing, he started laughing at me. Not just a little
chuckle but a great belly laugh. He was clutching his stomach laughing and he
had to hold on to the side of the wall to keep himself from falling on to the
floor. I didn’t know vampires could cry, but he was laughing so hard that tears
were flowing from his eyes.
Zhivvah
didn’t think it was so funny and she nudged him roughly as she approached, “We
won’t hurt you, my dear. Tavian,” she said sharply but he was no longer in
control. He just shook his head and laughed again.
I shuddered
as she placed her arms around my shoulder and led me back towards the easy
chair. I sat there with my head buried in my hands wishing I would wake up from
this whole terrible ordeal, but nothing happened. I heard Zhivvah wisp away and
then I heard her say Tavian’s name again. Their voices got quiet as they went
in to another room, leaving me alone. I glanced at the door wondering if this
was my chance for escape but by the time I pulled myself together enough to
stand up, both of them were back. Tavian looked very contrite and he apologized
for laughing at me and Zhivvah was holding another cup of something out to me.
“What is
it?” I whispered.
“Just some
more tea. Drink it, it will help.”
This time I
took the cup and immediately sipped at it, hoping that it really was drugged
and that whatever poison might be in it would put me out of my misery. The warmth
spread throughout me and I couldn’t deny it tasted pretty good and
unfortunately I didn’t keel over. And just like Zhivvah had said, it did seem
to help and I felt slightly better.
“If you’re
vampires,” I finally managed to say, “Why are you helping me?”
Tavian
growled, literally and I shrank into the easy chair, afraid he would attack me
but a look from Zhivvah quieted him and it was she that answered, “We’re not
all monsters, child.”
“So… you…
you’re like the Cullins… as opposed to Count Dracula.”
“Oh
please,” Tavian snarled.
“Somewhere
in between,” Zhivvah said with a smile.
“I don’t
understand,” I muttered wearily. “How is it possible?”
“The answer
to that is as various as the human quest to find the origin of human life. Was
it a big bang? Was it God, or perhaps something else? Where do vampires come
from? A thousand different legends and myths. Where did the first vampire come
from?” Zhivvah shrugged. “The version I prefer of Human creation is the story
of Adam. God formed him in His own image. They started out as perfect, innocent
creatures. But Satan tempted and corrupted Eve and then Cain killed Abel. And
now there are humans that strive to emulate Adam’s existence and grow closer to
God and there are humans that verge closer to demons and prefer Satan’s
methods.
It is the
same with vampires. I believe that vampires are derived from Satan’s minions.
He created the first vampires to lure and tempt humans. They were originally
evil. Monsters intended to murder and cause chaos. But like any being with
intelligence, there are those of us that have diverged from the path that we
were meant for.”
“But Emryl
said vampires don’t have souls. And on that blog the guy talked about the wars
that are…” I reconsidered and then pointed accusingly at Zhivvah, “YOU talked
about the wars that are being fought to get the human soul.”
“Silly and
pointless, like all wars,” Zhivvah said dismissively. “I told you. The soul is
not something obtainable. It is in the choices that are made.”
“But
we’re still screwed,” Tavian muttered bitterly.
No comments:
Post a Comment