Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Ogden Optimistc Edition 3

Tuesday January 5, 2016

Oh my goodness!  There's just so much to do and there's so much going on in just a few day!  So many thoughts and emotions swirling around in my head.
It was so good to get back to work and see many of  my friends.
Last night I had a voice lesson with Rick Rae.  He is amazingly talented and he is working with me and helping to put some of my poems and lyrics to music and I tell him all the time but I don't know if he believes me... I am so appreciative of his patience and insight.
I have three more issues of the Ogden Optimistic to let you read.  As I've read them I've enjoyed each issue a little bit more and grown a little bit  more proud.
So here is issue 3



Edition 3  July 24, 2007


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows
Ogden, Kyle Matthews:  Last Friday, July 20, 2007 millions of people all over the world waited in eager anticipation for the release of the last and final installment in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows.  I remember exactly the first time I was introduced to Harry Potter.  It was November and the third book in the series, Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban, had either just been released or was going to be shortly released.  I was at the doctor’s office and I picked up a magazine and I became entranced by the article which talked of ‘you know who’, the boy who lived and a world full of wizards, magic and muggles. 
I remember the excitement I felt as I read the magazine article and I remember rushing right to the closest book store once my doctors appointment had ended. 
It was around thanksgiving and I had no interest in football games, or eating because I was drawn into the wizarding world, quidditch and Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry.  The rich story line, the surprises, the humor J.K. Rowling has woven a truly magical tale and for the first time since television became a household item, children were more interested in reading than they were in watching the ‘old boob tube’. 
I didn’t get caught up in the Harry Potter craze until after the release of the third book.  So I was luckily able to read the first three books with out the agonizing wait that fans of the series were forced to endure.  But I remember the wait after I finished the third book.  The anticipation, the speculation.  What exactly was the Goblet of Fire?  J.K. Rowling remained secretive and evasive, escalating the anticipation of the release of her fourth book. 
I remember going to the book store and waiting for hours and hours with other ‘nutters’ that just couldn’t wait to get their Potter fix.  The excitement was palpable. 
Each book, it seemed took longer and longer for her to complete and for us, the fans to get our hands on.  Websites such as www.mugglenet.com,, www.harrypotter.warnerbros.com,
and dozens more popped up.  Fans were writing their own versions of what they thought, or hoped would occur in the series.  They drew pictures and debated and argued about the outcome.  Who would live?  Who would die?  It’s a phenomenon unlike any other.  Adults and children alike have grown to love ‘the boy who lived’.  Children have grown up with Harry Potter. 
With the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, the Harry Potter series comes to an end.  But his legacy will live on.  Generations to come will enjoy the magic and wonder of J.K’s Rowlings world that includes 7 books, and so far 5 movies with the other two movies in the works.  But the imaginations of children everywhere have been awoken and I believe there will be a surge of  creative works from children who learned to read and to love literature through the works of Harry Potter.
I only have one more thing to say, Thank you, J.K. Rowling for your fabulous imagination, your wonderful sense of humor and for the intricate and complex plots that you have woven together and made hundreds of muggles like me, believe that magic exist.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment